Tuesday 23 October 2012

Maya Jane Coles // Interview



Lady of the minute Maya Jane Coles takes some time out for an interview to go alongside her recent Louche Podcast. The Londoner has seriously blown up recently thanks to her killer productions: her “What They Say” EP on Real Tone went down a storm recently, making it’s way into the biggest DJs boxes. She now boasts a very busy DJ schedule for the remainder of this year, as well as recent signings to Mobilee and Hypercolour. Notable upcoming gigs for the starlet include a live set in Paris with Dyed and Jamie Jones, and a Berlin based Hypercolour party, both in November this year.
"It’s really hard to plan what you wanna do creatively. It’s all about how you’re feeling at the time and what naturally comes out."

When and how did you discover electronic music and was it house & techno that inspired to get into production and DJing? Any particular artists/dj’s/ producers that really influenced you?

It definitely wasn’t house and techno that got me into producing. When I was 13/14 I was a real Hip Hop fan which then lead onto loving Trip Hop/Dub and Electronica. I never used to like House music when I was younger cause all I’d hear on the radio was the really REALLY commercial crap and I just wasn’t into it. When it came to dance music I was more into underground Drum & Bass/Jungle and that kind of stuff. It was only when I was about 17 and started partying at the right places and hearing the more deeper intelligent side of House/Tech that I started getting into it. I started hearing music that I’d never heard before and it really opened my eyes to the scene.

It’s nice to see more female DJs and producers breaking through in the last couple of years, do you think its harder for females to make a name for themselves within the electronic music scene? How did you get your first break?

I don’t necessarily think it’s harder for females as long as you’ve got the skills and the ear, but I have previously experienced quite judgemental attitudes from fellow male producers when I first tell them what I do. Obviously being a young female producer a lot of guys would write me off a shit before they’ve actually heard any of my music. So sometimes it has been hard to be taken seriously on initial meeting! But luckily I’ve never had that problem once a person has heard my productions :) . Female producers come pretty far a and few between so when one comes along that is equally as good as the boys I think sometimes people get a bit shocked or maybe threatened. I get asked by so many guys whether I use an engineer or If I really do it all myself…? The answer is NO I do not use an engineer to do all the work! and YES! I make all my own music! hehe

Often particular cities/areas are linked to certain sounds and sub genres. Do you think living in London is reflected in your music?

I reckon living in London is definitely reflected in my music. I grew up having such diverse circles of friends who were all into completely different styles of music so that opened my mind to different sounds from a young age. My parents are super eclectic and massive music lovers too so I grew up being fed all kind of stuff though my ears. I’m sure this is a big reason why I can never stick to producing one genre of music!
"I’ve been feeling the whole Dubstep/House crossover for some time now when it comes to fresh genres."

How do you manage your time being involved in a number of different projects, do you plan to work on the different projects some time in advance or is it more a case of just making what you feel like day by day?

Well I do try to plan, but to be honest I’m pretty rubbish at time management, I just go with the flow ;) . It’s also really hard to plan what you wanna do creatively. It’s all about how you’re feeling at the time and what naturally comes out.

Do you see yourself focusing on just one particular project/sound in the future?

Definitely NOT :) . I love making so many different styles of music and would hate to only stick to one sound. Obviously I go through phases where I get really busy with one certain project so I have to put more time and focus into that, but I’m pretty sure I will always have more than one project on the go. It’s almost ridiculous sometimes and I occasionally wonder how I’m gonna get by managing my time, playing this balancing act game with different genres, but I love it really.

How does it compare remixing a producer on a small independent label to say remixing Massive Attack who are signed to a Major. Is there more pressure and is you’re creatively restricted when remixing mainstream acts?

To be honest, when remixing a more mainstream act like Massive Attack, I find there is a lot LESS pressure and restriction musically. Dance music already has a lot of restrictions before you even start. Things like tempo, length of track etc. whereas when remixing a more mainstream act I feel like I can to whatever I want and there are absolutely no rules. At the same time though, you still do have to think about the fact that it is for a much wider audience. The great thing about remixing tracks to be released on a small independent label is that you don’t have to worry about it appealing to the masses so you’re less restricted in that way.

What’s exciting you about the electronic music at the moment, which DJ’s/ producers and parties are you into?

I listen to so much different stuff I wouldn’t even know where to start, but I just rate any producers that aren’t afraid to be original and have their own sound. I’ve been feeling the whole Dubstep/House crossover for some time now when it comes to fresh genres. A whole new scene is emerging out of that so I’m excited to see what that’s gonna evolve into. When I’m at home though half the time what I listen to is so far away from dance music. I like a balance of everything.

Your latest EP “What They Say” on Real Tone is doing really well; topping download charts and getting big support from a lot of djs. There’s probably a long list of people wanting work with you, any labels or artists you would love to work with?

I’ve been getting loads of requests recently but I’m being quite selective with who I work with. I like to work with labels who work closely with their artists and build a good solid relationship with them. It’s not about digital only labels churning out releases every week from any artists they can get their hands on. There are lots of great labels out there that really put a lot of work and time into their releases and they’re the kind of labels I like to work with.

What’s been your highlight of the summer?

What Summer? I live in London. Haha kidding, well I was in Ibiza a couple weeks ago playing for a Dogmatik party out there, that was a lot of fun as I hadn’t been away this year. Other than that I’ve just been hiding away in the studio really.

And finally, what have you got in store for the rest of the year and 2011?

There’s lots to come! I’ve got an EP coming out on Hypercolour towards the end of the year which will be quite a special one and my new EP on Dogmatik ‘Cool Down’ will be out next month. I’ll definitely be doing another release on Real Tone soon and I’ve got a couple of very big things coming up which I can’t quite mention yet but some really exciting stuff. Also the first single of my Dubstep project Nocturnal Sunshine ‘Can’t Hide The Way I Feel’ will be out in October through Lick My Deck Records and it’s been getting lots of support from all the big cats. My live act She Is Danger will be going on tour supporting Dreadzone in November/December so that’ll be keeping me busy then. Bloody hell look at me plugging away! Haha the list could go on really but I’ll just stop there. There will be lots more going on in 2011, keep you ears peeled!

Words By Danny Newman


No comments:

Post a Comment