Monday 22 October 2012

Lovebirds // Interview

5 MAGAZINE
http://www.5chicago.com/features/june2012/lovebirds-sebastian-doering/index.html

FRIDAY 20TH JANUARY 2012

Not content with being a huge name on the House scene with Knee Deep, Sebastian Döring unleashed his alter ego Lovebirds and has welcomed a mighty following with fans as big as Tom Middleton and Ben Watt. His production has an old school vibe which is heavily influenced by the sounds of 70’s and 80’s but with a splash of futurism. We thought we would find out a bit more about him so read on to find out about his biggest musical influences, passions and what fans should expect from his set next Saturday at Talk Is Cheap.

Let’s start by finding a little bit about how you first got into music and producing… Where and when did you discover your love for house music and where did it all begin?

I think it all began when I watched stuff like Inner City and Ten City on MTV at the end of the 80s.

Who would you say are your biggest musical influences (not restricted to House music)?

I would say funk and soul of the late 70’s and early 80’s harmony wise. But also pop music from the 70’s like Todd Rundgren for example or Supertramp.

What is the one piece of kit that you couldn’t be without in your studio?

It’s my Fender Rhodes Suitcase Mark 2 (Rhodes electric piano with an amp). You turn it on and start playing and it’s just the most beautiful sound and feeling.

How methodical are you in the studio or do you let your creative side do the talking and things develop naturally?

I’m not methodical at all really. I wish I was then I could achieve things probably a lot earlier. I always do what I want, that’s why I don't really like remixes these days because you have deadlines. Some of the tracks I dig out are from 2004 and I finish them now.

We always ask what personal production stands out the most, but we would guess that due to the success, it would have to be ‘Want you in my soul’ right? If not, what would it be and why?

It’s probably this track but I spent so much time on it that I couldn't listen to it anymore, I really didn't expect anything from it…

What are your plans for 2012 can we expect a lot more original Lovebirds productions and do you have plans to collaborate with more vocalists like Stee Downs?

At the moment I am finishing off an album I did with a singer from Japan. It’s something like underground pop. I love all our tracks and I am really excited to see what will happen with this. With Stee we will release a follow up single on my own Teardrop label this year. We are thinking about doing a 4 tracker as we already have two beautiful down tempo Soul tunes. So we will work on an up-tempo A-side track and then put it out asap.

Are you looking forward to coming and playing in London again?

Sure, I love London. Always enjoy being there!

What three songs do you listen to the most when taking time off?

I should ask my iTunes to get a precise answer. At home I listen to 2 internet radio stations 95% of the time. One is called Radio Io Jazz Standards and the other one is Wefunk Radio.

What do you most like to do when away from the studio or gigging?

Cooking, I cook almost every evening!

Who are you most feeling within the scene at the moment, who should we look out for in 2012?

I love Axel Boman when he samples disco stuff, the Melbourne Deep House posse around Andy Hart, Mic Newman and Tornado Wallace, oh and Todd Terje of course!

Finally what can we at Talk Is Cheap expect from a Lovebirds set in 2012?

I like to play party music; I play a lot of old stuff from the 90’ ands also some Disco boogie originals when I’m drunk towards the end of my set wink


----------------------------------
A lot of people have charted your evolution from Knee Deep to Lovebirds, particularly the shift around 2006 or so when Lovebirds began to "take over". Why did you make that leap?

So-called "Soulful House" reached a stage where it was totally uninspiring. People thought that because they used a singer and maybe a live bass player, it's soulful - but when you look at it, it's really the opposite. Because of that, I started to produce hip hop instrumentals and down/midtempo tunes just for fun. Then my partner sent a few to John Buckby, who wanted to release them right away. From then on, I found my new direction.
Knee Deep remixed Brandy, Jamiroquai and several other mainstream acts. Lovebirds from the beginning has had a more underground texture to it & almost feels "homemade", if that makes any 
sense. How would you characterize the difference between these two sounds you're best known for?
To be honest, I don't see a big difference between the two. It's more like the packaging has changed but the inside stayed the same. Maybe these days it's easier to have more of that original '70s and '80s feel in the music which makes it look a little more underground.
One of the reasons I wanted to do this interview is that I think you've made a dent in the universe with what you're doing as Lovebirds - taking the essence of "Golden Age" House and giving it a modern spin. Pretty much every track I can think of, you have a hook, even when there are no vocals (for instance, "The Ride"). How much of this is intentional creation and how much is trusting your gut instincts?
I never really have a strategy or blueprint. I start with something and add another thing until I feel it's enough for arranging. Or trashing.
Yeah, I totally miss hooks in modern music. Sometimes I get sent tracks for remixing and I think, "What the hell am I supposed to use from the original? a hi hat? a sampled chord stab?"
I think "The Limit" was the track I did when I went to the studio with a six pack and a bottle of Jaegermeister and worked and drank until I threw up right in front of my feet!
One of my favorite tracks you've done as Lovebirds is "The Limit" from 2000. Both "Lovebirds" (the song) and the title track are so far ahead of their time that I don't know if people have caught up to them yet! Can you tell me about this one?
I'm not 100% sure anymore but I think "The Limit" was the track I did when I went to the studio with a six pack and a bottle of Jaegermeister and worked and drank until I threw up right in front of my feet! I guess I reached the limit! I don't know if they are ahead of their time - just some Deep House tracks with a hook!

A lot of the Knee Deep recordings were released on your own label; Lovebirds, on the other hand, seems to have a tight relationship with a couple of labels that release most of your stuff. How did you establish connections with Winding Road and Freerange?
I've known John Buckby of Winding Road for years through Vincenzo and their sound seemed perfect for my stuff back then. And Freerange seemed to me the right label to promote my fairly new name. For the future I will mainly release on my own Teardrop label. Next will be a 4 track EP, and after that the follow up single with Stee Downes. I can't wait to see the reactions and feedback to that because I totally love it and think it can do great!
A lot of your tracks stay "current" for a long time. Are you surprised by this? For example, "Want You In My Soul" (And since that one had a particularly long shelf life, can you tell us anything about how it evolved from an instrumental to a vocal with Stee Downes?)
No, I can't tell you why it is like that. If it is like that, it's a great compliment. The contact with Stee came while I was checking MySpace (which I rarely ever do even these days). I wrote him a message, then sent some instrumentals and the first track he worked on was this one. I think he was in the middle of a very fresh breakup with his girl - that might have influenced his lyrics a lot. In general, I stop working on a track when I realize I lose the vibe for it instead of forcing it to the end. That's why a lot of tracks are basically 99% ready but in a deep coma until I rediscover them and finish with fresh love and feelings for it!
Is this your first time playing in Chicago? It's at least been the first time in awhile...
I was only in Chicago once, and that was unintended - I missed my flight from Detroit and my friends were going to Chicago by train. So I've had a taco in Chicago and that's pretty much it.

CABEL-LONDON
http://www.cable-london.com/broadcast/single/lovebirds-interview



http://www.theymakemusic.com/interviews/lovebirds/

Who are you and what do you do? How long have you been a working musician?
My name is Sebastian Döring and I am a music producer and DJ. My music projects are called LOVEBIRDS (SINCE 2000) and KNEEDEEP (SINCE 1998). I started working with music production equipment in 1991.

What is your educational background? Are there any schools, courses, or books you recommend?

Musicwise? Not that much. I tried to take piano lessons a few times but I am simply not patient enough for all that practicing. And also every sort of playing or practice starts ideas for tracks in my head which I follow sooner or later, so I never really did what my teacher told me to. But I highly recommend taking piano lessons. Think of a language called music where you can finally choose from all words instead of playing around with letters.

What hardware are you using?

Mac Pro 8 core – never enough power but it has quite a lot.
UAD-2 QUAD – some lovely plugins on this one.
Genelec 1032A – just got them a few months ago, looks like they are going to be the ones.
MOTU 24 I/O
Harrison 32-channel console – Michael Jackson “Off The Wall”, “Thriller” … need I say more?
Micromoog – probably my fave monophonic synth. I just love it for all sorts of bass, leads, etc.
Minimoog Voyager – a friend parked it at my studio, haven’t developed a strong love yet. I prefer my micro.
MPC3000 – I wish I wasn’t so lazy and used it more often cuz it’s impossible to do lame drums.
Sequential Circuits DrumTraks – it’s such a classic and I needed to own it, fave 80s drum machine.
Fender Rhodes mk2 suitcase – the centre of my studio, always turned on, always turning on.
JUNO-6 – exchanged my 106 for it. I’m an arpeggio addict and the chorus is awesome too for pads etc.
ARP Solina String Ensemble – only 4 sounds but the best synth strings out there.
Oberheim Matrix 1000 – Get one! Now! Best value for your money. Mono output, but sample it twice, pan left and right, and it’s huuuge!
Korg M1Mu-tron I & II, Electro-Harmonix flanger, Lexicon PCM70

What software are you using?

I’ve been using Logic Pro ever since I sold my Atari and Cubase. Plug-in wise there’s so much available out there – I think it’s more about having less options these days. I do love all UAD plugins though.

What would be your dream setup?

My #1 item on my list is a big Oberheim synth like the OB-Xa. I am a huge fan of Oberheim, they have such a unique sound. But of course aJupiter 8 or Prophet 5 are just as nice! Plus some nice outboard compressors and EQs. I also have to get out of my room by the end of the year and I haven’t got a place to move yet, so a well treated room would be nice too!

Can you describe your creative process? Is there a particular routine or schedule you stick to?

I am totally unfocused. I work on 10 tracks at the same time. Once I don’t feel the tune anymore, I put it aside and sometimes leave it there for 5 years. To me the most important thing is the freshness you have in the beginning. That’s why I could never spend 20 minutes on cueing a hi-hat in the beginning. I need to get down the basic elements ASAP. And if I don’t get on well arranging it – I put it aside again. That’s why there are hundreds of almost finished tracks on my hard drive.

Where do you shop for and discover music?

My fave place is the recommendation of a friend. I don’t spend a lot of time searching for music. When I DJ I play a lot of older stuff because I just look at what I like most. And usually those tracks win over some new tracks. Ah – I’m a huge fan of WEFUNK Radio! Underground Hip-Hop, Funk and Boogie 24 hours. I usually start my day listening to this in the background. It’s such a good education! Whenever there’s something I like, I just find it on YouTube and add it to my favourites! And also radioIO Jazz Standards, which I listen to even more often. Both are available on iTunes Radio.

Any highlights from your latest musical discoveries?

Our upcoming release on Teardrop by 2 guys from St. Petersburg. It’s called “St Petersburg Disco Spin Club & Lipelis – I Need You”. Everybody that hears it says it’s a hit and I hope it will be!

What’s brewing in your studio?

I’m finishing an album with a singer from Tokyo which is sounding something like Little Dragon, AIR, etc. Really excited about this as I develop more and more a passion for non Dance music. Our project is called “Minako and the Lovebirds”. I met her in February in Tokyo and we’ve been sending stuff back and forth ever since. I sent her probably 50 tunes, some of them from 2003. It felt unbelievable to finally have found someone who can work with my music the right way!
Other than that I will have some Lovebirds releases out on Winding Road, Teardrop, Toolroom and just now my new EP on Freerange! And I’m just compiling a best of Lovebirds compilation, soon to be out on Beatport!

Any production tips & tricks you’d like to share?

Be sure that you don’t sound like another 150 other producers out there!


No comments:

Post a Comment