Tuesday 23 October 2012

Maya Jane Coles // Interview 2




She might be the hottest prodigy in electronic music right now, yet you won't see Maya Jane Coles getting all pretentious and ungrateful all of a sudden. She's just happy to be doing what she's always done - making music. I Voice caught up with London's latest house hopeful to get the lowdown on her musical tastes, with Ibiza,Defected and dubstep also on the agenda......

First off, how was your life changed since the success of 'What they Say?"
So much has changed! It's crazy to think that one track can change everything, but it's really been a massive step up and really paved the way for the rest of my music. It's nice to finally get a bit of recognition after doing something for so long.

Did you expect the success of "What they Say"? What did Real Tone make of the success?
The Real Tone boys were really happy with the success of the release. It was so unexpected for me. In fact a while back I was actually starting to get to a stage where I was beginning to doubt some of the choices I had made.
I never doubted my ability to make music, but I started to doubt whether it was really going to happen as a career. But I guess things fell into place at the right time, and when it's been a struggle to achieve something it's always that extra bit more satisfying when you actually start to get there.

Incidentally, is there a meaning behind that track title?
Hmm now there was a reason... There's always a reason for the track titles I chose, but I write sooo much music I don't always remember if it was a spur of the moment thing. This one obviously wasn't very relevant!

When did you first realize you could make a living from what you were doing?
Ever since I first started producing music I knew it was what I wanted to do for a living. The struggle was never knowing at what point I could comfortably rely on it as my main source of income. It can be so hard when you putting your 100% into something for such little financial gain. But I've learnt as long as you keep pushing on and don't give up it eventually pays off.

Going back a bit, were you musically educated, or did you teach yourself?
I went to music classes and played instruments when I was younger so that definitely helped develop my musical ear from an early age. I feel so grateful to have had that cause my music wouldn't be the same otherwise.

Did you do the whole Ibiza thing as a teenager?
I think I was 19 the first time I went to Ibiza. It was to go play live to support my first release on Dogmatik. Although I was always into the party thing it wasn't really a scene that attracted me when I was younger. But my first visit definitely changed my mind and I've been back a few times since. It's always so much fun

And do you still get out clubbing much?
Recently the only times I'll find myself in a club is when I'm DJing or supporting friends. I'm too busy with gigs to actually have time to go clubbing otherwise and if I'm not working it's actually quite refreshing to not to be in a club!

First and foremost, do you consider yourself a Dj, producer or songwriter?
I consider myself all those things but definitely a producer first. The DJing came afterwards and the songwriting isn't something I do as frequently.

How do you decide if a track needs lyrics? Do you write the music first and then arrange lyrics around it, or vice versa?
I'll always make the tracks first, that's the main priority. I only usually add vocals if something naturally comes to my head on the spot or if the track feels like it's lacking something. Sometimes it's nice to add that little human touch. If it doesn't come naturally I won't bother though cause I don't like forcing it.

Do you remember the first time you heard a record of yours play out? Is it strange to hear Djs you admire playing your music?
When I first started producing music I had a lot of friends that DJ'd so I'd always give them stuff to play out and quite often get to hear it in clubs, but it was definitely weird when I first started hearing DJs that I really looked up to playing my tracks. It's not as strange a feeling now, but it can still feel pretty mad to walk into a club and hear your own tracks being played by people you don't know.

 Your dubstep project, Nocturnal Sunshine, seems to be winning you a lot of fans also. Do you think the sound is a brief fad a la minimal or do you think it has more staying power?
The Dubstep scene is constantly developing and evolving and I definitely don't think it's just a phase. Obviously within all genres of music there are trends that appear and after time they just fade away, but with the innovative, forward thinking stuff there's always real potential for longevity.

With the current penchant for old school house sounds, do you feel your tracks dropped at just the right time?
Yeah for sure, I've always liked to mix up old and new sounds within my music cause I take influence from such a variety of styles. If that's what people happen to like at the moment then even better for me, but I don't do stuff cause I think it's "trendy".

Are you heavily influenced by that analogue house sound? If not, who or what does influence you?
I wouldn't say I'm heavily influenced by analogue sounding stuff. I mean I love it, but I'm not too particular about all that. I just love good music and at the end of the day it doesn't matter what was used to create it as long as it sounds great. I learnt to do what I do with pretty minimal equipment so I've never been to fussy about what gear has been used and how fancy someone's studio is etc.

Have you any plans for an album?
Yes I'm working on one now and for me it's my most exciting project to date. Getting it finished is my main priority at the moment but it's hard cause I have so much other stuff going on too. I need to be stricter with myself about focusing on specific projects rather than trying to do everything at once!

How influential is your background in London? Did you spend much of your youth in the city's nightclubs?
London has been a massive influence to what I do. Growing up in London I've always been exposed to so many different scenes and had lots of different friends with different interests and backgrounds. It's taught me to be open minded from a young age. There's always so much going on and I was lucky to be spoilt for choice with parties/nights when growing up.

What are the best and worst things about London? Are you planning on staying put or are you going to follow the herd to Berlin?
The best thing = the amazing people. The worst thing = the shitty people. But I love London and I definitely don't have any plans of leaving right now. 

I believe you're also half-Japanese? Is that Japanese music I hear towards the end of 'Hummingbird'? Do you listen to such music in your spare time?
Haha well yeah I guess you could say it's Japanese influenced at the end of 'Humming Bird'. I listen to absolutely everything (well not quite everything, but A LOT of different things) so my music can be influenced by anything. I used to sample a lot of old world music so there can be some oriental influence from that too. 

I believe you've releases for Mobilee in the pipeline- how did you hook up with Anja Schneider et al?
I've always really respected Mobilee as a label and what Anja has done. She was supporting a couple of my tracks so I got in touch and sent her some of my new stuff. After listening she asked whether I would like to join the team and of course I said yes. With Miss Kittin joining at the same time I'm really excited to be part of a label that has such a strong female force.

Do you place any significance on the fact that you're a woman in a predominantly male dominated field? Should we?
I've never been a girly girl and always found myself in male dominated surroundings. I mean I used to play football when I was younger! (but I'd always beat the boys!) I wish the music industry wasn't as male dominated as it is. It can get a bit boring meeting the same kind of average older bloke producers and DJs all the time. I hope to someday be in a position where I can help or inspire more young women to get involved.

What have been your most memorable gigs so far?
There have been loads, but more recently when I've played to crowds that have specifically come to hear my sets it's been a great feeling cause that's not something I've been used to.

You recently mixed a podcast for Defected. Do you worry people might think you're "selling out" so early in your career?
Not at all. I think my music can speak for itself an I wouldn't worry about ignorant people judging me over who I've done guest mixes for.

Without being patronizing - you're still relatively young compared to your peers. So finally, if you could go back and Dj in one musical timeframe - be it electronic related or not - where would you go and why?
I'd go back to the late 80's early 90's and compete in the DMC championship  playing old school Hip Hop/Breaks! Obviously I'd have to learn a fair few skill first though!

Ok, ok, one more thing! I believe you had all your gear stolen after a recent gig. If the thieves are reading, would you like to send a message out to them!?
Yes - karma will get you thieving bastards!!! Haha!



No comments:

Post a Comment